The role of an art teacher is to supervise and assist students with their artwork as well as teach different kinds of visual art mediums. Art teachers are also required to prepare and design lesson plans for students according to their age group and abilities. Teachers should be able to teach and manage a class of students (min. 6) professionally.
- Explain art processes, including drawing, painting, and handicraft.
- Develop lesson plans according to the students’ age group.
- Assess student’s learning progression.
- Encourage students to be creative and imaginative.
- Create a lively and interesting learning environment.
- Give proper instruction on tools, equipment use and care.
- Work on students’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Welcome visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone.
- Answering inquiries.
- Maintain and sort incoming emails for the school.
- Preparing statistics and handling data, such as attendance figures.
- Processing invoices.
- Checking, ordering and maintaining office and pantry supplies.
- Liaising with potential students, other institutions, government departments and external organisations.
- Helping with course approval and evaluation activities.
- Timetabling and planning events.
- Administering and coordinating student recruitment, examinations and assessment activities.